Subject: Virginia beach, Va. whales

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:52:00 -0500

     Dear Hannah's Dad,

     For specifics on when you might expect to see some of the following
     whales off Virginia Beach, you should probably contact some local
     whale watching group.  You can find some relatively easy by browsing
     the InterNet or by calling National Marine Fisheries Service who could
     probably give you the same information.

     Off VA Beach, you might see:

     northern right whale, blue whale, fin whale, sei whale, Bryde's whale,
     minke whale, humpback whale, sperm whale, pygmy sperm whale, dwarf
     sperm whale, Cuvier's beaked whale, Blainville's beaked whale,
     Gervais' beaked whale, True's beaked whale, as well as killer whales
     and other members of the dolphin family.

     I would assume during the summer/fall would be the best time to see
     migrating baleen whales, other whales are probably there year-round.
     Again, you'll need to call around because the whalewatching tour folks
     know that the best.

     Good luck!

     Dagmar