Subject: Why should we worry about whales?

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:36:04 -0500

     Dear James,

     I like the title of your project.  Actually, I seem to remember a
     title of an article or two like this.

     There are probably a bunch of reasons why we should care about whales.
      I think we should care, because they are an important part of the
     earth's ecosystem, and are needed to keep it in balance.  Whales are
     somewhat luckier than some other animals (like alligators) that people
     might not have lots of empathy for.  Whales are good because we can
     use them to make people care about other animals and the ecosystems in
     general.  We should worry about whales because the things that impact
     them are quite often the same things that impact us (e.g., pollution).
      Whales are also important for our soul in a respect.  They are quite
     often represented in art and literature and obviously mean a lot to
     culture, whether they are being hunted and killed as well, or not.

     As far as additional folks to contact, I will on the side send you a
     few email addresses of folks you might contact who might be able to
     help you out.

     Good luck!

Author:  James Dayson <jldayson@julian.uwo.ca> at ~smtp
Date:    2/9/98 2:59 PM

Dear Dagmar Fertl,

        My name is James Dayson and I am a student in first year studying at
the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario.  I am doing a research
project on the subject "Why should we worry about whales?" and I would
greatly appreciate it if you could help me with this subject in any way
possible.  If you could respond with you personal opinion on the subject and
any other information you may have such as other people, organizations or
addresses which I could contact.  I would greatly appreciate it if you could
help me with this. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look
forward to hearing from you shortly. Thank you and Take Care.

                        Yours Sincerely

                        James Dayson