Subject: What is a Marine Mammologist?

Phil Colla (
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:58:44 -0800

>What do you call the people who give shots to the whales, get data on them
>record their calls

I refer to people who work with whales, dolphins, seals and manatees
"Marine Mammologists" or "Marine Mammal Scientists".
These are people who study marine mammals in general.  Each
marine mammologist usually has a particular animal on which his work
or research is focussed.

I work with a humpback whale research group.  While we do not give shots to
whales, or any other sort of medicine, we do collect data about their
behaviour and associations, and occasionally we record their vocalizations
and songs.  We refer to ourselves as "whale researchers" or
"marine mammologists."

I hope this answers your question.

Phillip Colla                
Humpback Whales: