Subject: WHALES IN THE SEATLE AREA

Phil Colla (pcolla@cts.com)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:49:51 -0800

At 10:28 PM 2/17/98 EST, you wrote:
>WHEN WOULD BE THE BEST TIME OF YEAR TO PLAN A TRIP TO SEATLE WITH SEEING
>WHALES AS BEING THE FOCAL POINT OF THE TRIP?

Hmm, I don't really know.  I believe that orca (killer whales) near Seattle
are primarily resident, meaning they are there year-round, although
there are transient groups of orca that move through the area as well.
With that in mind, the best time of year would be weather-dependent
and also a little dependent on prices/high season/too many tourists.
Why don't you do a search on the web for whale watching in Seattle,
Vancouver and the San Juan islands.

One web page I saw said early summer was best.

There are possibly gray whales and humpback whales there at certain
times of the year, although I do not know if whale watching companies
target them with killer whales so numerous and easy to find.  Also,
grays and humpbacks are likely migrating through the Seattle area,
rather than stopped up, so they may be more difficult to find and
observe.

Try:

http://www.whalewatching.com/orcatour/orca.html
http://www.whalewatching.com/othertour/jetboat/jetboat.html