Subject: career with whales and dolphins

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:00:01 +0800

PLEASE NOTE
I AM NOT THE ASK SCIENTIST FOR THIS WEEK.  PLEASE REFER  TO WEBSITE FOR
CURRENT SCIENTIST.  HOWEVER I INCLUDE BELOW MY RESPONSE TO YOU QUESTION AS I
HAVE BEEN ASKED THIS BEFORE - YOU MAY FIND IT USEFUL TO CHECK PREVIOUS "ASK"
QUESTIONS IN THE ARCHIVES AND FIND "INSTANT ANSWERS" THAT WAY.

GOOD LUCK!

Lindsay

>My name is Katie Hein and I live in Minnesota. I have been interested in going
>into a field related to whales/dolphins. I am currently a freshman in college.
>If you can i would like some info. on places where I could do volunteer work
>to get my feet wet.

There are two types of voluntary work you could apply for - one where you
pay nothing (a true volunteer) or one where you actually pay to join a
research programme (as a type of adventure holiday).  I shall include some
places which may take on volunteers and email addresses for those that are
paying holidays.  These 'paying' volunteer projects also have various
overseas expeditions.

Paying Research
Earthwatch The website has lots of information on all projects, I have
listed the sites specific to marine mammals
http://www.earthwatch.org/
680 Mt. Auburn St.,
P.O. Box 403,
Watertown,
Massachusetts 02272;
email: info@earthwatch.org

http://www.earthwatch.org/x/Xkoelsch.html   MANATEES Florida
http://www.earthwatch.org/x/Xbalcombo.html   ORCAS Washington
http://www.earthwatch.org/x/Xwellsr.html    BOTTLENOSE DOLPHINS  Florida.

This is a very good programme. I know several people who have taken part and
all comments have been very positive and enthusiatic (to contact this
laboratory direct: Dr. Randy Wells
Chicago Zoological Society, c/o Mote Marine Laboratory, 1600 Thompson
Parkway, Sarasota, FL. 34236)

Whalewatching website.  This site has a lot of information on all aspects of
whale watching, research, education and related groups.
http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/whale/
email: lauhakangas@phcu.helsinki.fi

Oceanography www site list  This site lists many institutes that conduct
research and includes those that require volunteers
http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/whale/oceano.html
email: lauhakangas@phcu.helsinki.fi

Prof. G.A.J. Worthy
Director, Physiological Ecology and Bioenergetics Lab
and
Director, Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network
This is one of the largest and most successful Marine Mammal stranding
programmes.  Volunteers are always require although I believe that all
summer interns are either University or college level.

Texas A&M University,
5001 Avenue U, Suite 105
Galveston, TX   77551  USA
(409) 740-4905 fax
http://www-ocean.tamu.edu/

Centre for Coastal Studies
All year round whale and dolphin cruises and research, which take summer
interns of all ages
http://www.provincetown.com/coastalstudies

The Center for Coastal Studies
Box 1036,
Provincetown, MA 02657
(508) 487-3622
email: ccswhale@wn.net

Overseas
Wallacea.  Indonesian rainforest and coastal area survey project (no
specific dolphin work other than finding and identifying species in certain
areas)

http://www.operationwallacea.org.uk/

Operation Wallacea
C/- Ecosurveys
Priory Lodge
Hagnaby
Spilsby
Lincolnshire PE23 4BP
email: info@operationwallacea.org.uk

'Strategies for Pursuing a Career in Marine Mammal Science',
Society for Marine Mammalogy's website: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/strat.htm