Subject: Communication and Effects (fwd)

mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:21:53 -0500 (EST)

Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:07:23 -0500
From: Dagmar Fertl <Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov>
To: CLAUDIA S CRENA <HECTORCE@prodigy.net>
Cc: williams@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Whale Communication and Effects

     Hi Lucila,

     I don't have any information for you regarding your question.  It's a
     really good question though.  It's something that would be difficult
     to study.  I would suspect that it's kind of the same situation that
     it is for humans.  There appears to be evidence for humans that babies
     in utero can hear some sounds that mom could hear, and respond.  So, I
     think that the baby whale might move around in response to hearing mom
     or other whales making sounds.

     Dagmar

Author:  "CLAUDIA S CRENA" <HECTORCE@prodigy.net> at ~smtp
Date:    2/28/98 6:28 PM

Hi,
My name is Lucila. I am doing a science proposal for school and I would
like to know if you have any information on the following questions:
Does the sound of other whales influence a baby whale(calf?) development?
If so, does it matter if the sound comes from the mother, a whale of the
specie or any whale?
If it's possible, I would need the info by tuesday.

Thank you very much for reading this email,
Lucila
e-mail:lucilace@hotmail.com