Subject: Right whales

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 17:10:56 -0500

Dear Dennis:

Right whales were so named by early whalers because they were the
"right" whales to catch.

They were first exploited by the Basques about 1,000 years ago and later
by the American whalers. As a consequence of that their numbers in the
northern hemisphere is counted in the hundreds while for the southern
hemisphere is counted in the thousands.

They feed mostly on small crustaceans which they capture with their
mouth either at the surface of the water or while they are submerged.

Please let me know if you need to know anything else.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.