Subject: How long whales stay under water?

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 17:23:19 -0500

> Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 10:25:41 -0600
> From: Kurt Deger <kdeger@flash.net>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: Information on how long whales stat under water.
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> Do you know how long whales can stay under water.  I need to know at the
> least five whales.

Unfortunately there is no such a thing as a "Guiness Book of Records"
that can give us precice figures on this topic. Here are, however, some
estimations:

Sperm whales: males about one hour, females about 20 minutes.
Humpback whales: normally from 3 to 10 minutes, up to 30 minutes when
threatened.
Minke whales: Usually between 10 and 12 minutes. Occasionally up to 25
minutes.
Bryde's whales: between 5 and 20 minutes.
Sei whales: between 5 and 30 minutes.
Fin whales: 5 - 20 minutes.
Blue whales: Up to one hour.

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.