Subject: Killer whales vs. Great White Sharks

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 23:31:31 -0500

> Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 21:48:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: WPM5 <WPM5@aol.com>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: killer whale vs. Great White
>
> Dear Sir.
> Hello my name is Mark Voss,  My son Justin and I are discussing who would eat
> who.  I say that there is proof on film that they took not to long ago showing
> a killer whale killing a great way.  He says that a great white would win in a
> blattle against a killer whale. can you please help.

There are very few observations of interactions between large cetaceans
and sharks. Even a single observation of a killer whale being attacked
by a large shark may mean nothing, since it is possible that the killer
whale was on some kind of stress and sharks, being opportunistic, may
have just taken advantage of a situation that is not the norm.

In a article published last year in Marine Mammal Science (Vol. 12, pp.:
606-611) Dagmar Fertl and his colleagues report killer whales feeding on
sharks off the Pacific coasts of Costa Rica.  There, these authors
summarized all known instances of killer whales consuming shark species
and that list did not include a single instance of an attack on a white
shark.

Thus, there is no strong evidence one way or the other.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.