Subject: Alaskan whale population

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 23:40:11 -0500

> Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 09:45:53 -0900
> From: Ann Courtney <COURTNEYA@mail.akrr.com>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU
> Subject: Alaskan whale population
>
> As part of her sixth grade science project, my daughter needs
> information on the whale population in Alaska.  She needs to
> compare the populations of the Right, Gray, Bowhead, Beluga, and
> Humpback over the years to show whether there have been
> increases, decreases, etc.  Ideally, we would like to know the
> causes of declines or increases as well.  Do you know where we
> could find these statistics?  Thank you very much. We can be
> reached in Anchorage, Alaska at:
>
> courtneya@akrr.com

Dear Ann:

The source of the information you are looking for are the Reports of
International Whaling Commission.  This is an annual publication in
which estimates of whale population are given for many species in many
parts of the world.  I am sure that institutions such as the University
of Alaska or the nearest office of NOAA (the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration) have a set of that publication. The latest
volume (actually corresponding to 1997) is due any moment now.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.