Subject: Blubber

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 00:51:41 -0500

> Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 00:30:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: MHSA313 <MHSA313@aol.com>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: for school
>
> hi.  could you please tell me how blubber keeps whales warm.  Also where can I
> find more information on it and is there any place i can get pictures of this.
> Thanking you in advance for any help you can give me.  I am in 5th grade.
> bye
> Andrea

Dear Andrea:

Blubber is basically accumulation of fat.  Fat (lipids) has two
important characteristics: one is that prevents the rapid loss of heat
from the body by isolating other organs from the skin and, thus, the
environment; two, it serves as a reserve of energy for marine mammals
during those periods of their lives when they have little or nothing to
eat.

More information about it can be found in virtually any local library.
These libraries usually have general books on whales and other marine
mammals where you can find further explanations as well pictures.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.