Subject: False Killer whales

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 23:44:25 -0500

> Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 07:43:56 -0800
> From: Kerby Cowan <fschade@mail.bc.rogers.wave.ca>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: False Killer  whales
>
> How long can the False Killer Whale live for?
> How long can the False killer Whale hold its breath under water?
> How many False Killer Whales will strand themselves at once?  How many
> are saved? Are False Killer Whales threatened?Do you know How many Flase
> Killer Whales there are in the wold?

Despite being familiar because spectacular strandings reported in the
media and an occasional individual kept in captivity, we know very
little about false killer whales. The reason is that this is an oceanic
species and most oceanic species of toothed whales are poorly known.
Thus, we do not have consistent data on longevity or on how long they
can keep their breath under water.  False killer whales can strand in
numbers up to several dozens at the same time. Despite titanic efforts,
most of them die because even when pushed back into the sea they tend to
return to the beach.  We do not have statistics on how many are there.
Despite having a broad distribution in warm temperate and tropical
waters around the world they do not seem to be particularly abundant,
reason by which they are classified as "Insufficiently Known" from the
conservation viewpoint.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.