Subject: Baird's Beaked Whale

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Sun, 08 Mar 1998 22:52:48 -0500

> Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 10:05:38 -0500 (EST)
> From: SLGSummit <SLGSummit@aol.com>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: question
>
> Dear Dr. Romero:
>
> I am writing this note on behlaf of my daughter who is in kindergarten and is
> studying whales.  Her assignment is to learn about the Baird Beaked Whale.
> She wanted to know if you could tell her something interesting about that type
> of whale.
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Antonia Piccone
> Age 5
> Maret School
> Washington, DC

Dear Antonia:

Kindergarten and studying the Baird's Beaked Whale! Wow!, it took in my
times to get to senior year of high school to even learn what a cetacean
was. Congratulations!

Although called a whale, Baird's Beaked is a toothed, large marine
mammal found in the North Pacific from Mexico to Japan in rather deep
waters. It is the largest member of the beaked whale family attaining up
to 12 m in length.  Although it has been heavily exploited in past, we
do not really know how abundant it is. This is normal among species of
cetaceans (whales and dolphins) that live far from the coast.  They are
capable of long, deep-dives of up to 45 minutes. They are sometimes
infested by parasites, especially around their teeth.

Well, I hope this is enough. if you need further information, you can
find it in the very web page you found me.

Cheers,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.