Subject: Humpback whales reproduction

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 22:54:48 -0500

> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:28:09 -0500 (EST)
> From: DWatson659 <DWatson659@aol.com>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: Could you please help me.
>
> Hello my name is Josh.
>           I was wondering if you could tell me how the humpback whales breed
> and their breeding areas.  Could you also tell me how long the females are
> pregnant with the calves?

Dear Josh:

The male and the female swim next to each other and then engage in
rolling, flippering, and tail fluking. Both dive and then surface
vertically with their ventral surface in contact with each other.  That
is when copulation takes place.  They usually breed in warmer waters.
Their gestation period is babout 11 months.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.