Subject: Bowhead whales

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 23:36:21 -0500

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 19:19:57 -0500 (EST)
> From: SamHabs <SamHabs@aol.com>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: questions that need to be answered by the 17th of March
>
> I'm at my dad's house right now. Please send answers to me if they are before
> 3/17/98. My e-mail address is swimfly1@juno.com
>
> 1) What type of behavior of the bowhead whales have?
> 2) Does the bowhead whale migrate in the winter?
> 3) Does the bowhead whale swim through kelp?
>
> Thanx,
> Dorry Samuels
> 5th Grade
> Natick Massachusetts

Dear Dorry:

Bowhead whales are not particularly different from other whales in their
behavior: they migrate, present certain social structure, and feed by
"skimming" small floating organisms (plankton) near the surface of the
water.  They can be found near the pack ice zones in the winter of the
Artic sea and in comparison with other whale species the migrate very
little, not much more than a thousand kilometers north and south. They
might swim through kelp, although I have not been able to find
documentation in that regard and if they do so, they are probably out of
their normal distributional range.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.