Subject: Endangered Whales?

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 23:04:01 -0500

> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:48:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: ERika515 <ERika515@aol.com>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: extinction of killer whales
>
>       Hello! I'm a junior in high school and I was wondering about how
> endangered the killer whales are at this moment.  I was also wondering which
> is the most endangered whale. I would really apreciate any information you
> might be able to give me or any resources I could look for.  Please e-mail me
> at erika515@aol.com. Thank you for reading my letter and please answer me
> A.S.A.P. Thank you.

Killer whales are not really endangered, which does not mean that they
do not require attention.  Many countries with vested interests in
fisheries and which currently practice some sort of whaling such as
Iceland and Norway, see killer whales as in conflict with their
fisheries, and thare have been attempts to cull this species for the
purpose of fishery protection.

Regarding the most endangered species of whale, among the baleen whales
it would be the blue and the right whales while among the toothed
cetaceans it would be the baiji from China and the Indus River dolphin.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.