Subject: Math and Marine Biology

Aldemaro Romero (aRomero@herald.infi.net)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:06:18 -0500

> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 23:13:58 -0700
> From: dari burb <rochele@mailexcite.com>
> To: aRomero@ACC.FAU.EDU
> Cc: pita@whale.wheelock.edu
> Subject: (No Subject)
>
> my name is dariana burbano, i am 15 years old and want to become a marine biologist.
> for my high school math class assignment i have to find out about this occupation
> and how important math is in it.
>
> what education is required to become a marine biologist, and what math courses did
> you take throughout your education?

You must have a college education in science, majoring in biology. The
most used form of mathematics in marine biology is statistics.

> what kind of salary range and benefits can a marine biologist expect?

Very little, especially if in academia. It usually ranges from $25,000
up to 100,000 (in very special cases that involves administration). If
working for the private sector there may be better paid jobs in areas
such as fisheries.

> what is your daily routine, and when do you actually use math in it?

Routine varies greatly. Some marine biologists are strongly field
oriented; others are more lab oriented, and then there are the ones who
are more theoretical. Math is used generally to analyze the data you
collect.

> thank you for your time!
>
> sincerely,
> dariana
>
> Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere!
> http://www.mailexcite.com

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.