Subject: math and marine biology

Leah Gerber (leah@fish.washington.edu)
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:45:26 -0800

At 08:51 AM 3/16/98 -0700, you wrote:
>my name is dariana burbano, i am 15 years old and want to become a marine
>biologist.
> for my high school math class assignment i have to find out about this
occupation

>and how important math is in it.
>
>what education is required to become a marine biologist, and what math
courses
>did
>you take throughout your education?
>
>what kind of salary range and benefits can a marine biologist expect?
>
>what is your daily routine, and when do you actually use math in it?
>
>thank you for your time!
>
>sincerely,
>dariana

Dear Dariana,

A strong math background is a key component in the field of marine biology.
 To become sucessful in the field, you should plan to gain a background in
algebra, geometry, calculus and trigonomitry as well as physics and
chemistry.

The salary range of a marine biologist is rather small in general, and
ranges depending on your background. Generally you will earn more as you
earn more advanced degrees (bachelors, Masters, Ph.D.).

Daily routine -- I am afraid I do not have one! My work involves a mix of
field research, teaching, computer programming, writing, and attending
conferences. Personally I enjoy this mix as being involved in all stages of
the research process keeps life interesting!

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Leah