Subject: whale evolution

Leah Gerber (leah@fish.washington.edu)
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 22:41:19 -0800

At 08:43 PM 3/17/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Leah,
>I am fascinated by the information that whales evolved from land animals
>.  After viewing many migrating whales - I wanted to know more about
>whale evolution.  Can you give me some information and direct me to
>further resources?  All the information I have found seems to be
>directed at grade school children.
>Thank you.
>J.D. (Mendocino, CA.)

Dear J.D.

Yes, whale evolution is fascinating! It is amazing to imagine that 50
million years ago whales were once land animals.  In a recent (1995) issue
of Science there was a very concise account of whale evolution, called
"What is a Whale?". Also if you can wait until this summer there will be a
comprehensive story on whale evolution in Natinal Geographic.  Hope that
helps!

Cheers, Leah