Subject: Whale songs

Leah Gerber (leah@fish.washington.edu)
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:32:42 -0800

At 04:37 PM 3/21/98 EST, you wrote:
>Dear Leah,
>       My friend and I are doing a project on Whale songs and echolocation.
>Please E-Mail the address after the name and let us know if you have any info
>that we could use.
>    Thanks Ahoppy

Dear Ahoppy,

It is interesting to think about why whales sing. Songs, as well as
ecolocation, are generally methods of communication and finding prey.
Recent research on humpback whales indicates that the animals who sing are
all males, and that maybe the song is a display of dominance to other
whales.  This type of dominance display is similar to horns or antlers on
terrestrial species such as mountain sheep or elk.  Other scientists think
that the song is a way of attracting mates, but there is not a lot of
evidence supporting this idea.

have fun, Leah