Subject: Mystic the harbor seal and satellite tag

Fri, 27 Mar 1998 12:52:01 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Hingham - Jr. High LMC wrote:

> Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. Sciencetist,
>
> 	Out of all the seals you take inn why did you decide to tag Mystic?

ystic had stranded and was ready to return to the sea.>
> 	Why do you think Mystic is traveling to Long Island, New York?
>The seals often travel to New England and New York as part of the winter
migration south.  They normally return north as June approaches.

> 	Do you think Mystic will survive in the wild even though there is a ton
> of polution in the water?
> Pollution is a problem.  We can only help one individual at a time and
try to work on NOT polluting as a matter of routine rather than a once a
year event.

 > 	If Mystic dies do you think you will tag another harbor
seal? >
We will tag more seals as opportunities present themselves.  This is how
we learn more about the natural histories of these animals, in hope of
using this information to make more intelligent decisions about the
habitat use.

> 	Do you tag a lot seals? If so why is Mystic being focased on?

Mystic is being focused on now because it is the most recent seal tagged.
The tag will fall off when Mystic molts.

Mike