Subject: bowhead whale migration

Leah Gerber (leah@fish.washington.edu)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:21:05 -0800

At 11:17 AM 3/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi.
>My name is Sam and I'm doing a science project about bowhead whales.
>I would like to get little information about the migration of bowhead
>whales.
>like why do they migrate? or how do they migrate? and where do they
>migrate?
>some stuff like this. Thanks for your help.
>bye.

Hi Sam,

Bowheads live only in the Arctic Ocean and adjacent seas. One population
lives in the eastern Arctic and another lives in the western Arctic.
Bowheads migrate to feeding areas as the sea ice breaks up in the spring
and the reverse, they migrate southwards as the ice forms in the winter. It
seems they only migrate as far as they have to to stay free of the ice.
Little is know about their behavior on their winter range.

Good luck, Leah