Subject: marine biology career

Leah Gerber (
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 20:16:44 -0800

At 07:06 PM 3/26/98 EST, you wrote:
>Hello Leah. My name is Kristin. I am a middle school student and I plan to
>become a Marine Biologist or other marine scientist when I get older. What
>kind of schooling will I need after I graduate from high school?

Dear Kristin,

I am glad to hear that you are thinking of becoming a marine scientist.
After high school, you can study many different things in college that will
help prepare you to be a marine scientist, such as biology, chemistry, or
even oceanography.  After college, you can go to graduate school and begin
doing research on a topic that you want to specialize in. You can spend 2
0r 3 years in graduate school and get a masters degree- or do 5 or 6 years
of graduate school and research and get a Phd. That's what I am currently

As well as schooling, it is also very helpful (and fun, too) to do
extracurricular activities that relate to biology or marine biology.  For
example, you can volunteer to help at a science center or a wildlife (or
even a marine mammal) rescue and rehabilitation center near where you live.

Good luck!