Subject: Beluga Whales

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 20:27:05 +0800 (HKT)

>My name is Kate and I am 8 years old.  I am doing a research report on
>Beluga whales.  I was wondering if you know if Beluga whales jump out of
>the water like Orca whales?  Also I wanted to know if they be trained to
>do tricks like Orcas?
>
>My email address is:  katerbug@plix.com

Dear Kate,
There are many 'dolphinariums' in which belugas are held and I believe they
do perform tricks and other acts (which may benefit research by allowing
humans to handle, measure and  examine them).  The ease in which the species
can be trained is indicated by the use of belugas by the navy - which
involved training individuals to 'spy' out underwater areas by learning how
to use special cameras and take photographs!

An excellent book on the species is
Beluga Whales: WorldLife Library
Tony Martin 1996
Scotland: Colin Baxter Photography Ltd.