Subject: Dolphin language

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:17:49 +0800 (HKT)

>My name is Erin.  I'm in seventh grade and have to do a report on
>whales and porpoises (their language).  I have gone from website to
>website looking for information.  I have visited many and each
>website tells me something different.  One is telling me they have no
>language and the other is contradicting the theory that dolphins
>don't have a language (in other words saying they do) and I am
>completely and utterly confused can you help me.  If so E-mail me
>back before the end of this week please.

Dear Erin,
There are - as you have found out - several theories on whale and dolphin
'communication'.  Much debate occurs between those researchers who believe
in a 'language' (using its dictionary defination) and those who don't.  A
most balanced paper which discusses both intelligence and communication can
be found on

http://www.highnorth.no/br-be-an.htm

A bibliography of other available information on this topic can be found on
http://dsg.sbs.nus.edu.sg/combib.html

As far as I am aware, there is no definitive proof for either arguement.

I hope these sites help
with all best wishes
Lindsay J Porter
email h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk