Subject: Killer whale breeding programs

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:57:26 +0800 (HKT)

>I'm a college student trying research information on the success of
>breeding programs for captive killer whales. Their success rate, reasons
>for not succeeding, etc.  If you could send any information you might
>have, I would appreciate it! Thanks a lot!
>
>Sincerely,
>Frances.

Dear Frances,
Refering to A.R Martin's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Whales and Dolphins
(1990) New York: Portland House

Total recorded live captures for public display (1962 - 1988 and still
on-going) are 151 individuals.  The annual survivorship of animals kept in
US and Canadian facilities is 91%.

Seaworld has a successful Killer Whale breeding programme and I suggest you
check out their website and/or contact them directly for the most accurate
information on breeding in captivity.

The website is http://www.4adventure.com/seaworld/sw_california/swcframe.html

best wishes
Lindsay J Porter