Subject: Blue Whales

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 18:05:29 +0800 (HKT)

>I know this is not your field of study in a direct point of view, yet here
>go my questions:
>
>Are there any Blue Whales left (I belive so)... and where?
>
>and..
>
>Why have there not been any documentaries or reported studies on the
>leopard seal ?

 Dear Vera,
BLUE WHALES
it si believed that there are approx 4'000-6'000 Blue whales (not counting
pygmy blue whales) left in teh southern hemisphere and 3'000 in teh Northern
hemisphere.  It is thought that the population in the North Altantic is on
the increase too - which is good news! Some websites include

http://whales.magna.com.au/DISCOVER/BLUE/index.html
http://www.oit.itd.umich.edu/bio/doc.cgi/Chordata/Mammalia/Cetacea/Balaenopt
eridae/Balaenoptera_musculus.ftl#nathist

Leopard seal
The following website contains information on teh order Phocidae but not the
actual species (Hydrurga leptonyx)

http://www.oit.itd.umich.edu/bio108/Chordata/Mammalia/Carnivora/Phocidae.html

Other than this I am afraid I cannot find much else on the internet about
leopard seals - I shall make further enquiries and get back to you

Apologies and best wishes
Lindsay J Porter

email h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk
Dolphin Research Group