Subject: Whale parts and products

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:50:19 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 17:29:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Cara M. Gubbins" <cara@scs.unr.edu>
To: LWooten549 <LWooten549@aol.com>
Cc: pita@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Whale parts and perfume.

Lisa,
People make products out of whale parts. Mainly, the fat (blubber) of the
whales is boiled down until it is useable and manageable to be mixed with
other ingredients to make new products.

Callosities are whale skin. They are found on right whales and are covered
in crustaceans commonly called whale lice. These whale lice can be
colored, making the collosities much more visible.

I have seen whales and they are really amazing animals. Blue whales are
the largest animals to ever live on Earth - even bigger than any dinosaur.
Although they are very large, I can't think of any reason why you should
be scared of them. Cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises) have either
teeth or baleen, which they use to strain out their food from the water.
Scientisits use this and other features to categorize whales and dolphins.
Different species have different sized pods and feeding habitats,
depending on the environment in which they live.

I hope this helps you and your class,
Cara