Subject: Whales respiratory system in comparison to human

Cara M. Gubbins (cara@scs.unr.edu)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:25:38 -0700 (PDT)

Collin,
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. You may also want to
check out the Sea World website, because they may have the diagram that
you are looking for.

All whales and dolphins have two nasal passages (just like we do) that
connect their nares to their lungs. Odonotocetes have a single blowhole
and this is thought to be a derived condition - the single opening evolved
later in the evolution of the suborder.

Whales' lungs are arranged along their bodyline and the muscle that
controls breathing, the diaphragm, runs along the length of their lungs,
making each breath a near total replacement of the entire volume of the
lungs. This is also what allows them to exhale and inhale the vast
quantities of air in a short time.

I hope this helps,
Cara