Subject: Whale Stranding

Cara M. Gubbins (cara@scs.unr.edu)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:39:37 -0700 (PDT)

Stephanie,
Please check out the ASK archives for Sunday, April 19, 1998, regarding
the reasons that whales strand. Whales are susceptible to sunburn and
dehydration when stranded and because they are supoorted by water, their
body is not made to support their weight on land and many internala organs
can get damaged. Most whales that strand are dead or close to dying from
various illnesses. In these cases, impact on the population is not great.
In mass strandings, the impacts can be greater because otherwise healthy
animals may become sick or even die as a direct result of the stranding.
Cara