Subject: Humpback whales

Cara M. Gubbins (cara@scs.unr.edu)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:58:09 -0700 (PDT)

Humpback whales were hunted to near-extinction by the begining of this
century. The western North Atlantic population (along the east ccoast of
the US) has recovered well. Other stocks (or populations) are not doing as
well. The North Pacific population (including Hawaii) has only about 1,000
individuals and populations in the Eastern Atlantic and the southern
hemisphere are also less than 1/10th their estimated pre-hunting size.
Good luck on the study,
Cara