Subject: Pollution Effects Whales

Cara M. Gubbins (cara@scs.unr.edu)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:10:58 -0700 (PDT)

Katy,
Several types of pollution affect whales. I'll outline them below.

 Most whales are unable to detect the presence of oil spills on the
surface of the water and will surface to breath right through oil. They
make no effort to go around or past the oil. so, scientists believe that
they are unable to detect it.

Whales and dolphins are also subject to eating toxins in their food.
Toxins in the water due to human pollution from cities, dumps, boats,
etc., accumulate in marine organisms. These get passed on the whales and
dolphins, too.

You can help the whales by working to limit pollution in coastal areas and
at sea.

Cara