Subject: Life span of whales

Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:29:50 -1000

>hi jen!
>i have one question on whales.
>i hope you have a few moments to answer it.
>Q: what is the maximum years can a whale live?
>any Guinness book record?
>thanks in advance.
>bye.
>yomi rodrig

Yomi -

There is a very limited knowledge of the lifespans of whales, but it does
seem like most whales live long lives.  Smaller dolphins live shorter
lives, maybe about 15 years, killer whales may live to be 80 years old, and
fin whales may live to be 85 or 90 years old.  Each of these numbers may be
the 'Guinness book records' for these particular species, who knows,
average life spans are probably a bit shorter.  But I really don't think
there are any Guinness book records for whales, at least not in longevity.

Thanks for your question!

Aloha,
Jen

jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu