Subject: sperm whale air spaces

Cara M. Gubbins (cgubbins@hargray.com)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:41:56 -0400

Rick,
A very challenging question! It took a few of us here at WhaleNet to get
a grip on it and here is what we understand.
    First of all, we have to remember that whales are neutrally bouyant,
so any and all oxygenated areas within a whale are very small and
mimimal.
    Sperm whales have been known to stay underwater for over an hour.
WhaleNet hopes to place satellite tags and dive-depth recorder tags on a
couple of sperm whales next month in the Azores (northwest Atlantic).
That information will be available as real time data on our site.
http://whale.wheelock.edu   --under What's new" when it happens.
Remember
we have to locate and then attach the tags to the animal and "cross our
fingers" in hopeing that the tags will work properly.
     I am not familar with any whole creatures found from inside a sperm
whale.  We have obtained numerous parts to squids (especially beaks)
which
we have used to determine the different squid species consumed by sperm
whales.  This information had been obtained from early whaling records.
     Regarding sharks...I really do not know.  if you find the
reference,
I would appreciate it.  You may want to conduct a search via the
internet using the latin name or common name to that shark species.

All the best.