Subject: Common dolphins

Wed, 29 Apr 1998 21:18:03 -1000

>Thank you for your information. It helped me a lot. I have one more question
>which I forgot to ask you before. How often does the common dolphin usually
>come up to the surface.
>Thank you very much.
>Andrew

Andrew -

Common dolphins can dive and hold their breath for 15 or more minutes, but
they tend to surface much more often than that.  They feed mainly on fish
schools that occur close to the surface of the ocean, and they travel in
pods, surfacing regularly as they swim.  Most likely, surfacing and jumping
out of the water as they swim saves energy because air is easier to move
through than water.

Aloha -
Jen