Subject: Whale sharks

Thu, 30 Apr 1998 20:46:28 -1000

>My name is Tyler Gill,I am 9 years old.I would like to know about Whale
>Sharks.I need it for a report for school.
>THANK YOU		jimgill@bright.net

What do you want to know about whale sharks?  First of all, you should
know, of course, that they are not whales.  They are fish, the biggest fish
in the world, in fact.  They can grow to be up to 50 feet long.  They are
members of the shark family that also includes the great white shark.  But
unlike great white sharks, and most other sharks, the whale shark eats only
tiny fish and krill.  They eat by gulping huge amounts of water and passing
it through their gills, leaving the tiny animals behind.  They have a very
unique checkerboard pattern on their skin.  They are know for being very
gentle animals, and SCUBA divers have been able to swim with them.

That is all I can think of, but it should be a good start for you.  Try
some more research on the web, if you can, or try your library.  Good luck
on your report!

Aloha -

Jen

Jennifer D. Philips