Subject: Migrations

Tue, 05 May 1998 21:12:29 -1000

>Do you kwow the migration path of any whale besides the blue or grey
>whale.

That is an interesting questions because many whale species travel across
ocean basins when they migrate.  Unless we attach satellite tags to them,
we are not sure of their exact path of migration after they leave one
location and before they arrive in another.  Take the humpback whale, for
example?  In the Pacific ocean, for example, one population of humpback
whales migrates between the Hawaiian Islands during the winter and the
Alaskan waters during the summer but only recently are we starting to learn
about their exact migration path.  So, in answer to your question, we best
understand the gray whales migrations and movement patterns because they
migrate very close to the coast-lines.  Most other baleen whales do not hug
the coast so tightly, and because of this, we still do not fully understant
their migrations.  We are however, getting closer.  With the use of
satellite tags, we have the capability of watching individual whales and
their movements after they leave near shore areas.  I suggest you explore
around the whalenet site if you can.  Whalenet's primary research goal is
in the tracking of whale movements and much of the actual data collected is
available for viewing at the site.

Thanks for your question.

Aloha -

Jen