Subject: Stranding of whales...

Martine Berube (mberube@ulb.ac.be)
Mon, 11 May 1998 12:30:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Answer:
Dear Stephanie,
You will find everything you need for your science project on the WhaleNet
homepage. First at the following address you can find most groups that
people can contact, each groups have their homepage with a lot of
information and nice pictures
(http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/strandings.html). Regarding
stranding statisting, the Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network has some
statistics which are plotted on a graph
(http://www.tmmsn.org/strandings/statistcs.html).
Good luck with your research,
Martine

Question:
>Martine,
>   Hi, my name is Stephanie and I'm looking for some specific
>information on the stranding of whales.This is for an upcoming science
>project for a science fair for my school. I need to know what people
>should do when they come across some stranded whales. Who should they
>contact? I also need to know where, anywhere, on the internet can i find
>pictures of beached whales (possibly in color). It would be very helpful
>if I would be able to find GRAPHS only, on the internet, of how many
>whales strand themselves each year, etc.If you have any information for
>the questions above, or where I can find my graphs and pictures on the
>internet, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you so much,
>    Stephanie
>
>P.S. Any additional info that you think might be of some use of my
>project would also be very helpful.(I do have all the info I need for
>what happens to the whale's body and what causes them to strand. But
>anything else is great...Thanx again!)

Martine Berube
Unit of Evolutionary Genetics
Department of Molecular Biology