Subject: Distances whales travel

Martine Berube (mberube@ulb.ac.be)
Mon, 11 May 1998 19:11:16 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Danielle,
I am glad to hear that I can be of some help to you.

You asked me how far do whale travel?
One of the best way to know about how far do whale travel in a day or month
is the satellite tagging system. Look at this WhaleNet website,
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/stop_cover.html. You will find
information about the travelling of individuals of many species.
Have fun!

You know that the largest mammal that ever lived on this planet is the blue
whale. An average blue whale is between 75 and 80 feet (23 to 24.5 m) long,
and weighs about 110 tons (99,800 kg). Females are larger than males of the
same age, the largest perhaps weighing as much as 150 tons (136,000 kg.)
In the case of the blue whale, calves are 23 to 27 feet(7-8.2 m) long at
birth and 3 tons (2,722 kg).

>Mr. Berube,
>I just found a couple more questions, I would like to know before my report
>on the 13th, if it is possible could you please answer them too? I really
>appreciate you help! First Question is :
>How far do whales travel in a day? a week? a month?
>second question is :
>What is the Largest recorded whale? And much do baby whales usually weigh at
>birth?
>Thank you VERY much for your time.
>Danielle Shaw.
Martine Berube