Subject: Humpback Whale

Martine Berube (mberube@ulb.ac.be)
Fri, 15 May 1998 11:10:38 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Jody,
Here is the description of the color of a humpback whales:
The body is black on the dorsal (upper) side, and mottled black and white on
the ventral (under) side. This color pattern extends to the fluke. When the
humpback whale "sounds" (goes into a long or deep dive) it usually throws
its fluke upward, exposing the black and white patterned underside. This
pattern is distinctive to each whale. The flippers range from all white to
all black.
Martine

At 11.25 AM 14-05-1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Martine,
>My name is Jody Milligan. I attend New Richmond School. New Richmond is on
>the Gaspe Peninsula. I our grade 5/6 class, our teacher Mr. L. Fequet is
>having us do a study of whales.
>We use the Internet a lot in our research, but I cannot find the color of a
>HUMPBACK WHALE. Are you a to give me this information?
>Thank-you
>Jody

Martine Berube
Unit of Evolutionary Genetics