Subject: Whale excrement

Martine Berube (mberube@ulb.ac.be)
Mon, 18 May 1998 10:26:25 +0200 (MET DST)

Feces of whales will contain undigested materials like fish eyes, squid
beaks - depending on the diet of the particular species.  From my
experience, the feces can float for a while and then sink while dissolving
in the water.
Martine

At 09.33 PM 14-05-1998 EDT, you wrote:
>This may sound like a strange question, but my friend and I are having a
>debate about whether whale excrement (BM - #2) floats.  My friend claims that
>since it is made up of so much fat, it in fact does float and that birds eat
>it.  Could you help us out?  Thank you very much.

Martine Berube
Unit of Evolutionary Genetics
Department of Molecular Biology
Free University of Brussels (ULB)