Subject: Killer whale

Martine Berube (mberube@ulb.ac.be)
Tue, 19 May 1998 10:19:01 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Lance,

Of course, the way the killer whales will catch their preys, depends on the
type of killer whales. The resident killer whales will eat fishes, mainly
salmon. They will generally fish individually, they probably coordinate
their movements as a group to maximize their chances for success. The group
( whether it is a small maternal group, several maternal groups or several
pods) usually spreads out over an area. Together they will move in the same
direction. Quick, brief changes in direction indicate that a whale has
located a fish.
However, the transients killer have another strategy as they will feed
Harbour seals, Sea lions, Dall's porpoises, Harbour porpoises, Pacific
Whitesided dolphins, Gray, Minke and other whales. Their hunts are highly
co-operative and coordinated efforts. Sometimes a hunt will take just
minutes and at other times they last for several hours. Transients employ
several hunting strategies. A lot of the time Transients travel around
silently in
small groups. This perhaps enables them to listen intently, lessen their
presence in the water, and sneak up on their prey. The prey Transients are
after have well developed skills of their own and are difficult and
unwilling victims. So Transients have to use many different strategies to be
successful.

Killer whales can travel very fast, reaching top speeds of 30 miles per
hour.  They commonly travel at approximately 10 miles per hour.  Orcas can
cover a distance of 100 miles in a 24 hour period.

Cheers,
Martine

At 01.28 PM 18-05-1998 -0400, you wrote:
>>Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 11:41:34 -0400
>>To: mberube@uib.ac.be
>>From: Lynn Weeks <lweeks@groton.cnyric.org>
>>Subject: killer whale
>>
>> Hi my name  is  Lance.I am a 2nd  Grader student. I'd like to know how
>killer whales sneak up on their prey. How does it move in the water?  How
>fast does it swim?  Thank you for your help.    Lance Gaines

Martine Berube
Unit of Evolutionary Genetics
Department of Molecular Biology
Free University of Brussels (ULB)