Subject: Whale Heart & Circulatory System

Martine Berube (mberube@ulb.ac.be)
Tue, 19 May 1998 17:42:07 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Luke,
Information about the anatomy of cetaceans, to my knowledge, is rare. There
is one book where you may find some information. It is E Slijper's book
'Whales' 1979, Cornell University Press. You should also look for papers
written by Kooyman, G.L., who works on the physiology of marine mammals.
Good luck with your report,
Martine

At 06.02 PM 15-05-1998 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello Martine,
>                      I am attempting to do a report on the circulatory system
>of a sperm or blue whale, to compare/contrast to our human system. I have
>searched extensively and found little information on the anatomy of these
>magnificent creatures. Is this infomation that scarce?
>                      Perhaps you know of a publication or other resource that
>would be helpful. ( wanted: heart size & structure, blood volume, lymphatic
>sys.?, ect...)
>
>                                  Thank you for your time and help,
>
>Luke Weaver

Martine Berube