Subject: Fin and Blue Whales

Martine Berube (mberube@ulb.ac.be)
Thu, 21 May 1998 18:05:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear John-Samuel and Jay,
Among the fastest of the great whales, it is capable of bursts of speed of
up to 23 mph (37 km/hr).
The blue whale remains usually well offshore. However, you can find them
more inland waters (only a few miles), like the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the
St. Lawrence Estuary or in the Sea of Cortez where plankton is abundant.
Please look at the WhaleNet homepage under Satellite tagging, blue whales
have been tracked and mapped by the WhaleNet team
(http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/blue_cover_page.html).

At 08.15 AM 21-05-1998 -0400, you wrote:
>We have 2 questions. They are: How fast can Fin whales swim? and How
>close to the shore do Blue whales go?
>

>              	  	     Thank You
>
>					John-Samuel and Jay The Common School Amherst, Massachusetts

Martine Berube
Unit of Evolutionary Genetics
Department of Molecular Biology
Free University of Brussels (ULB)