Subject: Northern right whales and Fin whale lungs

Martine Berube (mberube@ulb.ac.be)
Fri, 22 May 1998 15:40:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Doug,
I have not found what is the lung capacity of a right whale, however I can
tell you a little bit about fin whale. The lung capacity of a 22m fin whale
is about 2000liter. It sounds quite a lot but relative to their size it is
not greatly different from any other mammalian. Depending of the species,
the ratio of lung capacity to body weight, it varies a lot from less to much
more than a terrestrial mammal.
There is one book where you may find more information:
Slijper, E.J. 1962. Whales. Hutchison, London.
Martine

At 12.33 PM 12-05-1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi!  I am studying the size and the lung capacity of right whales.  If you
have any information, I would apprecicate it.
>Thanks, Doug
>email pmoor@ultranet.com
>We are a 6th gr. class at the Charles River School and we are building  a
northern right whale.

Martine Berube
Unit of Evolutionary Genetics
Department of Molecular Biology