Subject: Marine Research Profession

Nancy Sadusky (education@earthlink.net)
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:39:57 +0000

Dear Melissa,

Thanks so much for your e-mail message.  I work doing education and
communications work for Save the Manatee Club, so if you are
interested in pursuing a career in marine mammal science as a
scientist, you might want to visit the web site:
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/strat.htm.  They have very
good information there titled "Strategies For Pursuing A Career In
Marine Mammal Science," prepared by The Society For Marine Mammalogy.

Sincerely,
Nancy Sadusky

Date:          Sat, 30 May 1998 14:47:26 -0400
From:          Bona Sparacino <starwriter@home.com>
To:            smeducation@earthlink.net, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject:       KILLER WHALES

I have always loved learning and watching marine life.  It has been a
dream of mine to research them and study them a profession.  How hard
is to become a scientist?  How long have you done your job?  Of all
the marine mammals I have learned about Killer Whales have interested
me the most.  In 7th grade I did a research project on them and was it
changed my opinion on the creature.  If you have any recent
information on killer whales or whales in general please sent it to
me.
     From:
      Melissa

**********************************
         Nancy Sadusky
     Communications Director
      Save the Manatee Club
       500 N. Maitland Ave.
       Maitland, FL  32751
      1-800-432-JOIN (5646)
e-mail: smeducation@earthlink.net
http://www.objectlinks.com/manatee
**********************************
t hits.  Manatees are
often injured and even killed by the crushing impact of the hull
and/or slashing of the propellers.  In the case of large power
vessels and barges, manatees may be caught between the vessel and the
water bottom, or the vessel and docking structure, and crushed. Most
manatees in the wild bear scars from at least one watercraft
collision.  In fact, manatee scars are so commonplace, researchers
use them as a method of individual indentification.
     Another cause of human-related manatee mortality includes the
accidental ingestion of discarded fishing line, hooks, plastic
six-pack holders and other debris left floating in waterways.
Entanglement in crab trap lines and monofilament line also cause
manatee injury or death.  Manatees can be crushed in closing flood
gates and canal locks that are used to protect against salt water
intrusion and flooding, or drowned when the tremendous suction
created by water rushing through opening gates pins animals under the
water.
     Harassment, too, is a problem for these gentle animals.
Harassment can include pursuing or chasing manatees; poking,
grabbing, or riding them.  These actions are potentially
life-threatening because they can force manatees to leave preferred
habitat such as warm water refuges, or can lead to the separation of
a mother and calf.  Feeding manatees or giving them water from a hose
can also be considered harassment because it disrupts their normal
behavior and conditions them to take food or water from people.
     Ultimately, however, loss of habitat is the most serious threat
facing manatees.  The growth in Florida's human population with its
added pollution, litter, and boat traffic, has degraded and
eliminated manatee habitat.  Many fresh water and marine grassbeds --
food sources for manatees -- have been lost because of herbicide use,
surface runoff, propeller dredging, and dredge and fill projects.  In
fact, there are very few places left where manatees are free from
danger, stress and harassment posed by human activity.
     To ensure the survival of the manatee population, mortality
levels must be reduced and their habitat protected.  Because
human-related manatee deaths are preventable, this is the most
logical way to reduce mortalities.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Nancy Sadusky