Subject: Orca Whale Information - general (fwd)

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:52:31 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:35:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Courtney Stirling Casey <stirling@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu>
To: Lesley Fleming <lesleyf@xtra.co.nz>
Cc: pita@sun.SIMMONS.EDU
Subject: Orca Whale Information - general

Grace,
	There is a lot of information available on killer whales. I will
give you some very basic life history information and also give you a web
site that may provide more information. Another good place to get
information would be your school library. Here is the web site address:
http://www/slipnet/~oyafuso/orcinusorca/orca.html/
Now for the basic information. Orca (killer whales) are the largest member
of the dolphin family. The males grow to be about 27 feet and 11 tons and
the females to about 23 feet and 8 tons. Calves are about 8 feet and 3-400
lbs. when they are born. In the wild orcas have a life span of up to 50
years. Killer whales are found in colder regions and throughout all
oceans. They live and hunt in large family groups. Hope this helps.

Courtney