Subject: Orca dorsal fins (fwd)

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:53:24 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:48:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Courtney Stirling Casey <stirling@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu>
To: Dlphn20@aol.com
Cc: pita@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Orca dorsal fins

Jennifer,
	It is true that captive killer whales can get 'bent' dorsal fins.
It is also found in wild animals. It is also true that no one quite knows
why dorsal fins bend. Many reasons have been suggested - slower swimming
speeds in captivity allow the fin to bend, change in food and loss of an
important nutrient could allow the cartilage to soften...but, with all
this speculation no one has really reached a conclusion about what causes
the 'bent' dorsal fin.

Courtney