Subject: Threats to marine life

Courtney Stirling Casey (stirling@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:54:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lisa,
	You have asked a good question, and one that many scientists are
wroking to answer each day! There are many different levels of threats to
whales (for example). Whales could be hurt by getting run over by a boat,
by not having enough food, or by chemicals in the oceans. All of these
problems impact most whales, but are difficult to add up into one
"threats" category.
	In terms of how many species are threatened - there are several
critically endangered species currently - the North Atlantic right whale
being one of them. In terms of how many are going to die-off - that goes
back to the information in my first paragraph. The more baby Right whales
that are struck by boats, or have to swim farther to find food because
global warming has shifted their food sources, or have trouble reproducing
because of contamination in the water, then the more likely that the
species won't survive. However, if we all work to minimize the threats I
just mentioned then we are helping to ensure the species survival!

Courtney