Subject: Career

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:40:48 +0800 (HKT)

>My  name  is  Stephanie  W.   I am a 5th Grader at Bowral Primary
>School [ Near Sydney Australia.]
> I'm  10  years  of  age  and  in  year  5. When  I  grow  up  I  want
>to  be  a  Marine  Biologist.  Could  you  please  tell  me  want  you
>do  as  a  Marine Biologist  or  Mammaloigist.

Dear Stephanie,
My favourite part of this job is actually being at sea and observing whales
and dolphins.  I think this is every marine biologists favourite part!  In
Hong Kong, I am studying a small, resident population of dolphins (which are
pink !) and part of my work is identifying individuals so that I might
follow events that occur during their lives - for example the birth of a
calf or which dolphin is friends with which other dolphins.  The part I like
least (!) is sitting in front of the computer analysising the environmental
variables (temperature salinity) of the dolphins habitat in an attempt to
establish what it is that may effect the dolphins distribution.

If you are interested in finding out more about carreers in marine biology
check out the following website

'Strategies for Pursuing a Career in Marine Mammal Science',
Society for Marine Mammalogy's website:

http://www.rtis.com/nat/user/elsberry/marspec/mmstrat.html

Good Luck
Lindsay